Full length Poetry collections
- Daylight Robbery, Exeter: Stride, 1990
- The Flashlight Sonata, Exeter: Stride,1993
- Empty Diaries, Exeter: Stride, 1998
- The Lores, London: Reality Street, 2003
- Tin Pan Arcadia, Cambridge: Salt Publishing, 2004
- Hymns to the God in which my Typewriter Believes, Exeter: Stride, 2006
- Complete Twentieth Century Blues, Cambridge: Salt Publishing, 2008
- Warrant Error, Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2009
- Berlin Bursts, Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2011
- A Translated Man, Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2013
- Words Out of Time, Newton-le-Willows: Knives, Forks and Spoons, 2015
- History or Sleep: Selected Poems, Bristol: Shearsman Books, 2015
- Unfinish: London: Veer Publications, 2016
- Twitters for a Lark (with Others): Bristol: Shearsman Books, 2017
Pamphlets and shorter publications
Dedicated to you but you weren’t listening, London: Writers Forum, 1979
- Returns, London:Textures,1985
- Private Number, London: Northern Lights Publishers, 1986
- Letter from the Blackstock Road, London: Oasis Books, 1988
- Internal Exile, Southampton: Torque Press,1988
- Codes and Diodes (with Bob Cobbing), London: Writers Forum, 1991
- Fox Spotlights, Cheltenham: The Short Run Press, 1995
- Free Fists (with Patricia Farrell), London: Writers Forum, 1996
- Neutral Drums (with Patricia Farrell), London: Writers Forum, 1999
- Blatent Blather/Virulent Whoops (with Bob Cobbing), London: Writers Forum, 2001
- The Anti-Orpheus: a notebook, Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2004. (Also available as an e-book at www.shearsman. com)
- Risk Assessment (with Rupert Loydell) Damaged Goods, 2006
- The Given, Newton-le-Willows: Knives Forks and Spoons, 2010
- The Only Life, Newton-le-Willows: Knives Forks and Spoons, 2011
- The Drop, Hunstanton: Oystercatcher Press, 2016
- Petrarch 3: a derivative derive, Crater 36, 2017
- The Working Week: Devoran: Smallminded Books, 2017
Ship of Fools Pamphlets and Artist’s Books
Mespotamia (with images by Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1987
- Looking North (with images by Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1987
- The Cannibal Club (with Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1990
- Killing Boxes, London: Ship of Fools, London, 1992
- Wayne Pratt: Watering the Cactus – the deathbed edition, 1999 Ship of Fools, London, 1992, revised 1999
- Logos on Kimonos (with images by Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1992 revised ed. 1998
- Seven (with images by Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1992
- Icarus - Having Fallen (with Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1992
- Transit Depots/Empty Diaries (with John Seed [text] and Patricia Farrell [images]), London: Ship of Fools, 1993
- net/(k)not/-work(s), London: Ship of Fools, 1993
- Fucking Time (with images by Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1994
- The Book of British Soil (with Patricia Farrell), London: Ship of Fools, 1995
- Soleà for Lorca, Liverpool: Ship of Fools, 1998
- Birthday Boy, A Present for Lee Harwood, ed. with Patricia Farrell, anthology containing poetry by John Ashbery, art by Andrzej Jackowski, and others, 1999
- Depleted Uranium, Liverpool: Ship of Fools, 2001
- 31st April or The Age of Irony, Liverpool, Ship of Fools, 2001
- The End of the Twentieth Century, Liverpool: Ship of Fools, 2002
- The Blickensderfer Punch (with Patricia Farrell), Liverpool: Ship of Fools, 2002
- Turns (with Scott Thurston), Liverpool: Ship of Fools/The Radiator, 2003
- Looking Thru’ A Hole in the Wall (with Patricia Farrell), Liverpool: Ship of Fools, 2010.
- Liverpool Hugs and Kisses (with Robert Hampson), Liverpool: Ship of Fools/Pushtika Press, 2015.
- Fandango Loops (with Patricia Farrell), Liverpool, Ship of Fools, 2015.
Avant Garters - zimzalla avant object no. 35 A pair of garters with monostichs, wrapped in gold, sealed in wax, 2016.
Anthology Appearances include
- The New British Poetry, eds., Allnutt, Gillian; D’Aguiar, Fred; Edwards, Ken; and Mottram, Eric, London: Paladin, 1988, pp. 336-9
- Floating Capital: New Poets from London, ed. Clarke, Adrian, and myself, Elmwood, Connecticut: Potes and Poets Press, USA, 1991, pp. 102-10
- Verbi Visi Voco: a performance of poetry, ed. Griffiths, Bill and Cobbing, Bob, London: Writers Forum, 1992, pp. 225-9
- New British and Irish Writing, West Coat Line Number 17 (29/2) ed. Quartermain, 1995, pp. 85-7, 112
- Other: British and Irish Poetry Since 1970, ed. Caddel, Richard, and Quartermain, Peter, Wesleyan University Press, 1999, pp. 238-42
- Anthology of Twentieth-Century British and Irish Poetry, ed. Tuma, Keith, Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2001, pp. 866-9
- ‘from September 12’, ed. Swift, Todd, e-book Babylon Burning: 9/11 five years on, at www.nthposition.com/babylonburing911.php
- ‘Small Voice’, in eds. Allen, Tim, and Duncan Andrew, Don’t Start Me Talking, Cambridge: Salt, 2007, pp. 335-6
- Six sonnets in The Reality Street Book of Sonnets, Reality Street: Hastings, 2008.
- ‘A Voice Without’, ‘Not Another Poem’, in ed. Rupert Loydell, Troubles Swapped for Something Fresh:Manifestos and Unmanifestos, Salt: Cambridge, 2009
- 'from "The Given" in ed. David Miller, The Alchemist's Mind. Reality Street: Hastings , 2012.
- 'Portrait and Portals' in ed. Philip Davenport, The Dark Would (various media) 2013.
- 'In Unadopted Space' in eds. Holland and Topping, Sculpted, North West Poets, 2013.
- Poems about music in eds. Loydell and Ferguson, Yesterday's Music Today, Newton-le-Willows, Knives Forks and Spoons, 2015
- A short story ('Arrivals') in ed. Nicholas Royle, Best British Short Stories 2016, Cromer: Salt, 2016.
Magazine and Journal publications
My poetry and creative prose has appeared in well over 100 magazines since the 1970s, including: New Statesman, Critical Quarterly, PN Review, The Gig (Canada), Jacket (Australia), Scratch, Alembic, Palantir, Reality Studios, Slow Dancer, Raddle Moon (Canada), Fragmente, Object Permanence, Mirage # 4/Period(ical) # 47 (USA), VLAK, Veer Off, Angel Exhaust, Agenda, Stand, English, Damn the Caesars, The Wolf, International Times, Poetry Wales, Card Alpha, Blackbox Manifold, The Litterateur, Stride, Adjacent Pineapple.
Far Language: Poetics and Linguistically Innovative Poetry 1978-1997, Exeter: Stride Research Documents, 1999; second printing 2002
- The Poetry of Saying: British Poetry and its Discontents 1950-2000, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2005
- Iain Sinclair, Writers and Their Work, Plymouth: Northcote House, 2007
- When Bad Times Made for Good Poetry, Exeter: Shearsman Books, 2011
- The Meaning of Form in Contemporary Innovative Poetry, New York: Palgrave, 2016
Floating Capital: New Poets from London, with Clarke, Adrian, Elmwood, Connecticut: Potes and Poets, 1991
- News for the Ear: a homage to Roy Fisher, with Robinson, Peter, Exeter: Stride 2000
- Salt Companion to Lee Harwood, Cambridge Salt: 2007
- The Door at Taldir: The Selected Poems of Paul Evans, Exeter: Shearsman, 2009
I have published numerous book chapters and referred articles such as ‘Poetics and Ethics: The Saying and the Said in the Linguistically Innovative Poetry of Tom Raworth’, Critical Survey, Vol 14, Number 2, 2002, pp. 75-88, and 'Public Poetics: The Manifesto of the Poetry Society 1976' in Poetry and Public Language, eds. Anthony Caleshu and Tony Lopez, Exeter: Shearsman, 2007.
Edited Magazines and Journals
1 1983, tape cassette poetry magazine, 1 - 3, 1974-77.
2 Rock Drill, 1 - 5, 1980-85.
3 Pages, 1 - 400+ , 1987-1997 (first and second series); 2005- (third series as a blogzine).
4 Journal of British and Irish Innovative Poetry , 2009- (stepped down December 2014)